Monday 22 April 2013

A Portrait of an Allotment Owner

Good afternoon!

I am so enjoying this weather. Everything is bursting back into life with bright, fresh, vibrant greens of all shades and flowers being tended by bees. I love that droning hum in the hedgerows evocative of hot sunny days.

I had an afternoon at my friend Jayne's allotment yesterday and this will be the first in a series of portraits celebrating ordinary people doing their thing.

Jayne is involved on the committee for the Allotment Society and helps run the community allotment as well as her own. Initially sharing an allotment when her two boys were very small, she moved into another space about four years ago now I think, (correct me if I'm wrong Jayne, time flies!) extending her plot further a couple of years ago. I caught up with her yesterday, digging out the footings for a greenhouse that they (she and her husband Matt) are transplanting from another plot. As well as enjoying the the fruits-and veg of course, of her labours, Jayne loves the community aspect of  allotment culture. Many older people have plots there and have proved invaluable for advice, support and practical help to others, benefitting themselves from the company, stimulation and sense of purpose that comes from this community and from growing-their-own.

Its also an immensely exciting place for children. Our's had a lovely game of tag and hide and seek in amongst the trees, sheds and green houses. Allotments really are a place to relax, have fun and learn about the process of growing your own and about nature and where best to start than with the younger generation.

As an artist, I find the place fascinating. I like the feel of 'making-do' that is evident across all the plots. All sorts of household and industrial objects given a new lease of life as plant holders/pots, fences, ponds, markers, bird scarers etc.

Anyway, there are a lot of photographs here, you may like to pop off and get a cuppa and imagine yourself on your own plot!

By chance, I met two extraordinary men this morning who are working on a real labour of love-more to follow tomorrow in the next of my series of ordinary/extraordinary people.

Bye for now, and enjoy the sunshine! x


Jayne on her plot with a beautifully handcrafted gift ( the number 4)  from an older gentleman who has a  plot nearby.






I loved this, home form home!






















A baby blackbird hiding in a hedgerow.

The very beautiful Zach, Jayne's border collie.















No comments:

Post a Comment